The following text is taken from the book, Football Grounds, and was written by Cassandra Wells.
“Tottenham Hotspur was founded by a group of cricketers in 1882. The team, then called Hotspur FC, first played games on Tottenham Marshes. By 1885 the club had added the prefix “Tottenham” and three years later the team moved to their first proper ground, Northumberland Park. In 1899 the club moved again to a ground owned by a local brewery then called the High Road Ground. Spurs became the first non-league team since 1888 to win the FA Cup in 1901. The club’s first major stand, the West Stand, opened in 1909. The stand came complete with a mock-Tudor gable and a year later a copper cockerel perched on a ball was placed on the roof. In 1919 the ground adopted the name of the local railway station, White Hart Lane. Spurs won the FA Cup for the second time in 1921, and this funded the covering of the Paxton Road End and the Park Land End. It was not until 1934 that the final terrace, the East Terrace, was built. The East Stand was a two-tier stand erected on top of the terracing, so it resembled three tiers. This stand had a capacity of 24,000 and when Spurs took Sunderland on in the FA Cup in 1938 a record 75,038 fans looked on. The cockerel moved to the East Stand in 1958 in time to see the club go through their most successful era, winning the double in 1961, the FA Cup in 1962 and 1967, the League Cup in 1971 and 1973, the European Cup Winners’ Cup in 1963 and the UEFA Cup in 1972. In the 1980s the club nearly became bankrupt as the building of the West Stand cost almost double the original estimate. The redevelopment of the East Stand in 1987 again caused crippling debts as costs spiralled. However, the club managed its debts and after adding seats to the East Terrace, the Park Lane Terrace and the Shelf, the new South Stand was built in 1995, and a new upper tier was added to the Paxton Road End, bringing the capacity up to 36,214.”