This wonderful old club had without doubt the most charismatic and influential manager in the entire history of the game. Brian Clough won titles with pure football knowledge and man management almost without a cheque book which the prima donnas of today (2017) could not exist without.
The following text is taken from the book, Football Grounds, and was written by Cassandra Wells.
“Nottingham Forest formed in 1865 and played their first games at the Forest Recreation Ground. They moved in 1879 to the Meadows and just a year later moved again to Trent Bridge, the cricket ground. The club then had a number of different homes and it was not until 1890 that Forest settled for a while at the Town Ground. It cost the club £1,000 to prepare the ground for football. Forest joined the League in 1892 and in 1898 they won their first FA Cup final. Their success brought increased numbers of supporters and that year the Reds moved to the City Ground, spending £3,000 getting it up to scratch. The club built a wooden main stand and a wooden shelter at the Trent End. The City Ground survived the war with very little damage - it cost more to repair the ground when the Trent burst its banks in 1947. After winning the Third Division title in 1950 the club drew up plans to redevelop the ground. In 1954, the Trent End Terrace was extended and covered, and three years later the club built the East Stand and expanded the Bridgford End Terrace. Between 1962 and 1965 the Main Stand was redeveloped in time for Forest’s highest gate ever when 49,946 fans saw them take on Manchester United in 1967. The following season fire engulfed the Main Stand in a game against Leeds United, fortunately no fans were injured. The club had to move temporarily to Meadow Lane, Notts County’s ground, for six games, while The City Ground was repaired. The late 1970s saw Forest win the League title, the European Cup and the League Cup twice in successive seasons. The money earned from this success funded the building of the two-tiered, all-seater Executive Stand (now called the Brian Clough Stand) in place of the East Stand, at a cost of a cool £2.5 million. After a wrangle with the council over a strip of land behind the Trent End, Forest began developing the Bridgford End in 1992, followed shortly afterwards by the Trent End which brought capacity to 30,602”.